Friday, August 31, 2012

Lost and found in Lyndale



When we first moved into Lyndale in 1999, we cleaned busily, including the front sidewalk and stairs, leaving the broom on the front porch propped against the wall of the house.  Came back for it the next morning and it was gone.  I remember thinking, “Who steals a broom?  A clean thief?”   I wished them well with it because anyone who needs to steal a broom can have mine.  I went to the store, bought a new one, and continued cleaning.  Two days later, my broom reappeared right where I had left it on my front porch.  Who steals a broom and then returns it?  Does that make it borrowing?

At this point, I knew we had moved into a remarkable place and I promised myself to recount the stories.

Several years later, I bought a 40 pound bag of chicken manure compost for my garden.  I was in a rush to make an appointment and the compost was stinking up my car so I tossed it on my driveway and set the 2 kale and 2 chard seedlings I had bought on top of it.  I came home to find that someone had taken the bag of manure and both kale.  Not the chard; just the kale.  If you’re that hard up for greens, take mine- seriously.  Incredulously, I drove back to the farm store, bought another 40 pound bag of chicken manure compost.  At the checkout counter, I told the story and the lady working there said, “Hey, that’s good shit, man!”  It was worth paying twice for that line alone, I laughed so hard.

A year later, we left our garage door open overnight and all our bikes were stolen.  Neighbors came to our rescue.  Anjali saw hers on a youth farmer’s porch.  They had found it in the alley and moved it to safety.  I got a call mid-morning from the bike store, giving me the address where my bike had been found.  Another neighbor had found my brand new bike in the alley, picked it up, called the bike shop number on a sticker on the frame, and reported it found.  Lock had held and no damage was done.  I walked it five houses home down the alley, gratefully.  We did lose one rarely ridden, cheap, old ten-speed.  But it was a small loss compared to finding so many neighbors who had our backs.

Now as we prepare to move, I realize what we are about to lose here- a once-in-a-lifetime neighborhood experience which has changed our lives for the better.  I get all choked up when I think of all the people and all the good times- Youth Farm, Posada, Fish Fest, Litter Outta Lyndale, Wall Dogs, Painter Park- all of these are irreplaceable memories.  You’ve been a good place to raise our kids and we’ve become better neighbors, better citizens, better people because of our time among you. 

The things we’ve found here- kindness, civic involvement, good parties- we’ll bring with us to our new place. 

It’s been a good run.  We are grateful to have been your neighbors. 

Lyndalians forever-
Amy, Tim, Anjali, and Mark Reisdorf
35th & 1st  

No comments:

Post a Comment