Sunday, May 1, 2011

Quotes

I've been watching two sci-fi shows, Sanctuary and Stargate Atlantis, and several quotes struck me.  I wanted to type them here before I lose the paper I jotted them on.

The future is predetermined by the character of those who shape it.

Intriguing twist on the free will/fate question.  In the story, this plays out in an unexpected climax to a battle scene between the good guys and the bad guys each being true to their character.

What's bred in the bone can't be undone in the flesh.

In context this was a chilling quote by a murderer about his daughter.

And this quote I heard two different ways as I was listening, both of which I find thought-provoking.

Feeling love and inflicting pain are mutually exclusive.
Feeling love and inflicting pain aren't mutually exclusive.

The first feels either clear and healthy or over simplistic, depending on how I tilt my head.
The second I find chilling and I can't decide if I'm cold because it's a clever lie or a painful truth.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating. Did you figure out which way the last one was said in the show? Or, did they say it both ways? I have to admit, I like the first way, but the second way rings true...

    ReplyDelete