Sunday, September 5, 2010

Better together

On Friday I went to Sewtropolis, a sewing shop and studio where I will be completing my quilt project in time for my 40th birthday art show. The owner, Nikol, welcomed me, laid out my project, and came up with practical suggestions for me to be able to complete the project myself, which is quite something given that I haven't sewn since junior high home ec. She's going to work with me for several hours helping and training me and then for $5/hr I can work on her machine in her studio. I can't tell you how much it meant to lay out a project I've been working on for 9 1/2 years and have her tell me she believed I could do it and that she liked my choice of textures. She also knew what supplies I needed, where to get them, and how to do it all on a budget.

I realized as I left and reflected on the experience the last couple days that I felt braver and calmer and not overwhelmed anymore knowing that this kind, knowledgeable woman will be there while I work.

I get so weary sometimes of doing everything by myself- deciding, initiating, motivating, transitioning, doing, making, cleaning up. But when I have a friend along I feel calmer, more able, happier.

Thanks, friends, for being my spoonful of sugar.

1 comment: