Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Program Character Assets

Today Anjali started Inner City Tennis at Lyndale Farmstead Park 14 blocks from our house. Great program. They handed out a one-page folded handout and I was moved by what was written on the back.

Program Character Assets

Respect
  • I will listen to others.
  • I will share and take turns.
  • I will be courteous.
Perseverance
  • I will try one more time...forever.
Integrity
  • I will follow the rules, even when no one else is watching.
Teamwork
  • I will put we before me.
Service
  • I will look for ways to help others...before they ask.
Responsibility
  • I will do what I promised.
  • I will make no excuses.
Enthusiasm
  • I will do things with eagerness and joy.

What great values! I felt my heart expand at this great, simple summary of character. I'm going to hang this somewhere and talk about it with Anjali.

It's great to hang around people who are committed to these assets. Anjali had fun, all the kids were positive. Mark and I played at the playground where every kid had a parent, often a dad, supervising them and where several had both parents. I experienced a pleasant culture shock. I need to spend more time rejuvenating around well balanced, centered kids. And probably my kids do, too.

As we move on from Solomon's Porch in our church hunt, I think these values and that centered feeling are something we're going to be looking for.

My favorite today was I will make no excuses. Anyone else want to comment on today's favorite?

3 comments:

  1. I personally think it's so cool that this is coming from tennis!!! Woohoo! And my favorite is doing things with eagerness & joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fave: Try one more time, forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the "I will try one more time...forever." There's something so tough and beautiful about it at the same time.

    ReplyDelete