Friday, May 28, 2010

Pots

My church is having a garage sale to raise money to send girls to school in Guatemala. Just last Sunday, they announced they wanted perennials to sell. "So divide your perennials this week and bring them," she said. Ah, yes, an elegant solution to my crowded garden problem.

But how to transport them there? I just cleaned the garage and tossed all the cheap little plastic pots. Why is it I'm always sharing with other people? When are the other people going to share back anyway?

Five minutes after that thought, the kids and I were in the car getting on to 35W when I spied piles and piles of empty plastic pots by the side of the road- sturdy big ones. Workers were landscaping the new sound wall. I pulled into the lane they had coned off and walked a long block to find someone to ask. Not only did they let us have the pots, we got the 6-pack carrying trays as well. They even gathered them up for us. So with the trunk stuffed with dozens of pots we drove away rejoicing that not only do we have enough for us, but for the whole church.



Special thanks go to the man in the pickup who saw the kids and I walking the curb and stopped to ask if we needed help.

I am deeply moved by the sharing, the kindness, and the bounty.
Here are some bonus photos by Mark which struck me as rather artsy.

3 comments:

  1. I love it . . . the circular nature of it . . . the give & receive of it. Love you for allowing the blessings to flow through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool story!! Wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ammms,

    I attempted to comment last week, but messed up the security word thingy. That was a really cool example of how, if you're open to the universe, sometimes what you need will come your way. But the key was that you were open enough to see the solution and then actually ask for the pots. Most people, including myself, are too afraid of strangers to ask the right questions...

    ReplyDelete