Today I heard the story of Eleazar, one of King David's Mighty Men listed in 2 Samuel 23. Not exactly a scintillating text. And yet, I found myself sitting in the pew with tears running down my face at his story.
9 Next to him was Eleazar son of Dodai the Ahohite. As one of the three mighty men, he was with David when they taunted the Philistines gathered at Pas Dammim for battle. Then the men of Israel retreated, 10 but he stood his ground and struck down the Philistines till his hand grew tired and froze to the sword. The LORD brought about a great victory that day. The troops returned to Eleazar, but only to strip the dead.
I have been here. Bravery, arrogance, and tough talk with the winning team. The battle turns and I am abandoned at the critical moment. Everyone who talked victory with me runs and I am left facing a ruthless, unrelenting enemy alone. For far, far too long. I fight so long that my body, my life freeze around my weapons and I am a warrior whose war ends and I don't know how to stop fighting. And my comrade-betrayers come back to help themselves to the treasure I have won with my life's blood. And still, after everything and everything, my victory is great and God has brought it. I didn't expect to survive and here I am victorious.
My soul swells to hear this man named a Mighty Man. This man makes the list. Those who ran are mentioned only to heap honor on the one who stood. His name means "My God, saving help in desperate times."
Eleazar is my new found kindred spirit and I wish to be counted among the Mighty. My fight has been desperately long and nearly unsung and chiefly acknowledged by others for the treasures it's unearthed which they want.
When it comes time for my trophy, I want to be awarded The Mighty Eleazar.
nothing similar
14 years ago
Yes, but how many Philistines have you taunted? I think there's a minimum to get that award.
ReplyDeleteAnd if you have a sword freeze to your hand, we'd have to get that surgically removed. We've got the coverage - might as well.
I think my taunting number is low. I'll have to work on that. ;)
ReplyDeletewoohoo. Kindred spirits, yes please!
ReplyDelete