Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Again

This morning I woke up and it's definite- my infected tooth is still infected and is growing rapidly worse. I'm on antibiotics for the second time in a month, the very ones I asked for last week and was refused. This is the last ditch attempt to save my tooth; the next step is removing my tooth altogether. This is the same tooth that I had root canaled 11 years ago, took antibiotics for 2 years ago, had another flare up in August, then another in September with another round of antibiotics, then a second root canal last Monday, and now today. Again.
I'm giving this a less than 10% chance of working on a bone-deep infection after 11 years. But hey, $5 and two weeks to spare myself surgery and save my tooth- I'm willing to try. But only just. I really, really need to finish this.
My painful headache is back with a vengeance, my post-nasal drip has returned, my face is flushed- and I lived like this for years not knowing it was my tooth. I feel like a schmo for letting it go on for 11 years and for somehow letting it come to this. Now that I do know, I simply want closure.
I don't always know what the problem is and I don't always know what to do or have the resources to do it. I used to expend a lot of energy wishing for perfect knowledge and perfect solutions. However, I'm realizing that I can't always promise to know nor can I always promise to fix it but I can promise to do my best for myself.
Good people, after 11 years, I do know the problem, I have a solution (albeit an unpleasant one), and I have promised myself that I will do everything in my power to finish it. I wish I had more to offer myself- infallibility or perfection or something. But what I do have to offer is my very best, every time. I'm making my peace with that and it's going to be enough.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry you're not feeling well. Hoping you'll be able to finally put this in the past soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm so sorry that you are in pain again. I hope very much that you will find closure this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that sounds bad! The tooth, I mean. I couldn't help but see my own situation through your words--but I won't go into that here, now. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete