Tim's boss at A&P told him 2 weeks ago that his hours would be cut come March. So, we took a deep breath, put our heads together, and started planning how we could recruit more tutors. I started putting out my feelers for jobs and found a lead on the homeschool yahoo group for a part-time homestay coordinator which with Tim's reduction of hours would be a good fit. I pulled Mark out of playschool to save money. I posted for tutoring on Craig's List and started inquiring after a part-time job. Zig.
Last week, Tim's boss comes back and says that the budget was not approved, Tim's consulting job is being terminated, and there's an opening for another job, full-time with benefits, but paying the same amount for 40 hours that Tim's making now for 30. So, Tim's looking at needing to keep his FedEx job (approx 20 hrs/wk), working 10 more hours weekly, plus losing his ability to work from home. Tutoring's out. My flexibility is out the window and likely so is my part-time job. But of course, I'd just sent in the application hours before the news broke after working on it for 2 hours. With less resiliency, I had a tough transition but Tim was so grateful and cheerful in the face of everything that after spending the weekend happily together, I faced Monday in pretty good cheer. Zag.
This week, Tim accepts the new job by email and Monday his boss comes and says that everything is in limbo, pending approval from superiors. Contrary to what he'd said previously, Tim can't start the new job Tuesday March 1 but can continue to work under the old deal temporarily. And of course, I have a phone interview for the homestay coordinator position that afternoon. I leveled with her, asking how soon she'd need an answer- no later than this Friday and the sooner the better. So, we exchange more information, she calls my references, and we meet by phone again today to go point by point through the contract. Tim's confident that we can make it work; I'm less enthusiastic but we'll need the money either way and this is a potentially more convenient option than subbing. I accepted this afternoon.
I think I'm going to like it eventually. Maybe even by Saturday. But today after zigging and zagging and un-zigging and de-zagging, I'm weary.
nothing similar
14 years ago
That sounds intense, but it also seems like you are all reacting with great resilience. Life is a crazy ride!
ReplyDelete