Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Great line

Yesterday at the end of youth Farm, Tim rode his bike over to the pick up site to ride home with Anjali. Some boy said to Anjali, "Hey-is that your bike?" Fortunately Anjali didn't hear him and Tim did, understanding that the next comment was going to be something along the lines of a sarcastic, "Nice bike."

Tim replied, "Yes, that's my bike and I like it."

The boy asked, "Is that your daughter?"

"Yes, that's my daughter and I like her." Then Tim rode away.

This answer struck me on several levels. One, I was proud of Tim's quick, strong affirmations. Good parenting and being a loyal friend. Two, I reflected on how much all those kids and comments used to hurt my feelings and just really, really don't anymore. Thank heavens. Three, I am struck that I want more and more to have this attitude about myself- genuine fondness, pride in my life being mine, and a willingness to face negativity with panache. Not simply out of determined loyalty or forced optimism or fear of failure and abandonment, but because I really do embrace my whole self with greater self understanding than can be threatened by criticism and petty comments. If I can embrace myself at my worst moments of my worst days, what could possibly be left to say that will undermine me?

Yes, that's my life and I like it.
Yes, that's me and I like me.

4 comments:

  1. Amen & amen . . . THAT is what I want for me, for you & for our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my wife and I like you a lot. And I'll have a side of panache to go please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, that is just too cool! You really do have a way of the profound in the everyday!! It pleases me so much that Tim had the presence of mind and heart to say that in the moment. I think up until a year or two ago I was really threatened by what people thought of me, too. It's still a lesson that I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete